Two Key Factors To Healthy and Happy Dogs: Diet and Exercise
Believe it or not, according to the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention, an estimated 54% of dogs in the United States are overweight or obese. The issues contributing to these appalling statistics are just the same as what you would expect in a study on humans: lack of exercise and unhealthy diets. When combined, these factors create a dangerous and unhealthy lifestyle for your loved ones. Here are some pointers on how to keep your dog in shape so they can enjoy a long, happy, and healthy life!
Take Your Dog For a Daily Walk or Run
Here are some specific reasons why walking and/or running is imperative for a healthy, happy, and well-behaved dog:
- When dogs are bored, they can become destructive – they will take out their excess energy on your personal items. Common items like shoes, carpet, pillow, and trash are all up for game.
- Walking at a steady pace for at least 15 minutes per day will help regulate your dog's digestive system as well as give them a heart-strengthening cardio workout.
- Exercise helps to maintain healthy living and burn extra calories that lead to weight gain. Obesity in dogs leads to health problems such as joint pain, difficulty breathing, and even heart problems.
- Dogs that get regular exercise live longer, have greater stamina, lower risk of developing arthritis, among many other benefits.
- Walking your dogs gives them a chance to focus their energy, explore the outdoors, and meet new friends!
Keep Your Dog On a Healthy Diet
A proper diet is crucial to keeping your dog healthy. Without essential vitamins and nutrients, your dog can develop health issues that can affect their joints, skin & hair, and overall wellness. Here are a few things to keep in mind when feeding your loved one:
- Make sure to feed your dog according to its age, breed, and size.
- Ensure a healthy mix of proteins, fats, whole grains, vitamins & minerals.
- Steer away from artificial flavors, colors or anything else that could be harmful to your pup.
- Do some research on the food brands that you use! Be informed!
How We Can Help
We know that you care deeply about your dog, but may not have the time to make their health your priority. Luckily, Denver Pro Pet Sitting is a company devoted to maintaining your pet's active, healthy, and happy lifestyle. You can count on our professional pet sitters and dog walkers to be there when you can't. Contact us today to set up your FREE Meet & Greet!